Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happenings

So here's a quite late Merry Christmas to everyone. Hope everyone had a good one. And also a on time happy new years. So break is almost over. I head back to school on tuesday. It will be nice to see everyone again, I'm missing people. The time until tuesday should go pretty quick. Today I'm not doing much, going to watch a bunch of movies tonight by myself as is my new years tradition. Monday going to a movie with a friend probably, and Tuesday will be going to the city for a bit with my family. I got a $30 gift certificate for any store in Midtown so I plan on doing some shopping. Might get the new Rex Goudi CD. I do enjoy him. So Christmas presents. I got some good stuff. From my sister I got Malcolm in the Middle season 1, a spongebob squarepants tv game thing, a poster of spongebob and patrick being amish, and a sign that says "Elvis fans parking, all others will be all shook up" or something along those lines. From my parents I got 2 car models, a shirt, pj shorts, the new Weird Al CD, Fresh Prince season 4, a guitar stand, bunch of stocking stuffers and $100. Then from one grandma I got the $30 gift certificate, from my uncle I got $30 to movie theatres, from my other grandma I got some Left Behind books and a hat, and from one of my cousins I got a car model. With the $100 from my parents I went shopping..I got The Nanny and Good times season 1, 2 shirts, one with Mr. T on it which is pretty awesome, a 'military shirt' which is just a button up shirt thing and like 5 plaid shirts. So I'm pretty happy with all of that. So the big news lately is that Saddam Hussein has been hung. I really don't think that he should have. I'm sure that I don't know all about the issues because I don't care much about all of the politics and I don't listen when I could be hearing about them, but I don't think he should have been hung. There is no denying that he was a bad guy but I'm still against capital punishment. I don't think it should be up to people to decide who dies, or who lives, especially not the government. Capital punishment seems almost like it's telling other people it's ok to kill. I know that's not really what it's saying, but if the government can go around and kill people that have done bad things, why should people be going to jail because they do that? It just seems sort of like a contradiction. Plus Saddam was a bad guy, and if you kill him, then it's over for him. I think in this case, or in any case that could warrant the death penalty, that something like solitary confinement is better. Death is pretty much just the easy way out. At least if he was alive he could maybe think about what he did, not saying that he would, or that he would think that it was wrong of him to do all he has done, but it just seems like more of a punishment. Now getting off of his case, and just saying capital punishment in general, there is lots of cases when a convicted felon goes to jail and has a change of heart. Like really, how many people have gone to jail, and come out a new person, and becoming a Christian? That has happened, and it will continue to happen. Choosing the death penalty for someone makes that so that it's not possible to happen, which doesn't seem fair. Everyone deserves a second chance. Well that's about it for my thoughts, as I do have other things to be doing right now so I will update again soon. Maybe not for a little while though because on Friday I am leaving for my missions trip. I will for sure be updating when I get back from that though.

No comments: