Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Work

Well, I got a new job. It's at the restaurant in town here. My first day there is tomorrow. My problem? I am completely dreading it. At first I was pretty pumped. I would be able to work in town, which meant not having to drive into the city, I could work with people I already know and I would get to see people in town again, which is what I have missed about not working at Shell anymore. Some time after I got hired though I realized something. I'm done with Langham. Not only is it not the most ideal job (it's not full time and only minimum wage) but I am seriously finished with this town. I need to move on. I always dream of bigger things and I really want to start acting on them. I know I don't have the guts though. Due to the fact that I'm having trouble finding a job that is right for me I am settling. Since I don't know what I want to do with my life, I'm settling. I wish I could just be gone. Move somewhere. Pack everything, move away and find a job elsewhere. Then my head tells me that it doesn't make sense to do that. My biggest priority is to save up for London. If I move away how can I save up? I have to pay off my student loan, I have my cell phone bill to pay, anywhere that I go I will have to pay more for rent than I am at home, plus there's utilities and things like internet and cable/satellite on top of that. Then there's the thing that I wouldn't be able to live on my own, I would need a roommate and I don't want to move in with some stranger. I can't handle a strange place and a stranger at the same time. I'm too much of a coward. So do I just suck it up for now and just think of it as a means to an end? The job will get me to London. I just don't know if it's worth it. I want to get to London, badly. Is it worth being miserable for over a year though? I don't think so. I'm still looking at the help wanted's but I just can't find anything appealing. And to anything that is appealing I can't seem to get hired. I wish I had a plan for my life. I envy those people who know exactly what they want to do, or at least have areas and skills that they excel in. They at least have a fighting chance when it comes to this thing called life. There really doesn't seem to be a chance for me. There is no career that is good for people who are always dreaming about the next big thing, who would rather be alone than with people, or who are just mediocre. I know I could easily get a job at a fast food place or something, but I have been there and I can't do that again. I don't have that in me. I just wish I wasn't dreading tomorrow quite so much. I wish that I wasn't quite so finished with this town. I wish I had more in me. There's a lot that I wish, but alas wishing won't really get me a job or get me to London. I don't really know how to get the rest of what I feel into words. It feels like I just keep repeating myself but in my head it's so many different thoughts. I'm so not prepared to have to do this tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey!Working throu a miserable job to just get to a dream is worth it! think about it. Its your dream...dreams are never easy to come by! For someone to actually experience there dream means alot of work had to be done for that dream to be reached. I don't have the job of my dreams. I dislike my job alot but ill say this im doing it because its for my dream. Its about sacrifices. You gotta make sacrifices and if working some crap job for awhile just so you can tour London Dont you think that will be wicked. you dream of it, you long for it, when your there it will be amazing more then what you dreamed of and you will rememeber it for rest of your life it will be something you will hold onto for rest of your life and it could very well be begginng of more dreams. Making sacrifices to get there is just how life is but when u make it throu those hard time it will feel soo good and you feel like you just won the lottery.Take on that job be proud dont look back and when your working and hatin your job just remember the word LONDON and smile and keep your head up high!

Anonymous said...

Langham is horrible! It is okay to let go, it's okay to move on. I find it so reliving never having to go back, meeting people who dont know about your small town life. It is amazing.
Get a job in the city, meet amazing people, have a great life. Thats what i did.. and ill never regret that.
Im soo glad i left langham right after high school. you dont have to move out.. cos obviously it is soo much cheaper to live there and save as much money as possible.
If you are *desperate* for a job, theres always walmart.. haha. Ill tell you, its not the greatest job but the people are great, its really fun. Ive been there almost 2 years, its not so bad. Not forever but definitely tolerable for a year and half or so..
Good luck in whatever decision you make.